Friday, February 12, 2010

Recovery Week

So I have made it through 4 weeks (well almost 4 weeks) of triathlon training. It has been a rough and rocky 4 weeks. I had a few minutes before I have to head into work, and wanted to just comment about the journey this has been already.

I'm sure you could tell by my last post that I was getting tired of working out. Working out had become a chore for me, and I didn't enjoy it. That is never a good thing, well at least for me.

This week something in my attitude changed. My workouts don't seem like a chore, they are at least fun. This might have something to do with the fact that the amount of exercise required for this week is reduced. I was able to get 60 minutes of biking and running in yesterday on my break, and it felt so good. I am usually able to get 45 minutes, 50 tops. However, I was able to start my workout earlier than normal. I spent 20 minutes on the bike. Hopped off, ran for 20 minutes, and then got back on the bike to round out my hour. While on the bike the second time around, I was envisioning what the Half Ironman would be like...

Imagining coming out of the water, and entering Transition 1 with a smile on my face.
Ripping part of my wet suit off on the run towards my transition area.
Standing on my towel while I finish peeling my wet suit off.
Fastening my helmet securely on my head.
Wiping my feet off enough to put my above the ankle socks on,
latching my race belt, so my number is behind me.
Lifting my bike off the rack, and running towards the end of the transition area.
Feeling myself clip my bike shoes into the pedals,
the sun is shining warmly on my back as I feel strong entering the bike course.
I can do this!

I read an article about believing in the goals, or resolutions you have set for yourself. Taking a small part of your day to envision yourself feeling strong on race day. This small part of your day can be before you get out of bed in the morning, right before you fall asleep at night, taking a shower after you are finished with a workout, or while you are preparing for your race in your day to day exercises. I challenge you to try this, even if you are not training for a triathlon. Envision yourself delivering a speech, or turning in the final draft of your book you have been working on. Try it, it is such an empowering and uplifting practice that makes you feel like you can go out and conquer the world.

Have a healthy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment